Bengaluru, NFAPost: Google Search report states that the top trending topic in India over June has been Sushant Singh Rajput. Interest for the late actor spiked sharply on 14 June to reach an all time high nationally.
The momentum is happneing at a time when queries related to corona virus also spiked like anything. The Google report states that the top trending coronavirus searches have been: “कोरोना समाचार / coronavirus news” which spiked +3,450% and “vaccine for coronavirus latest update” which is up by +1,350%.
June Search Trends
- The top trending topic in India over June has been Sushant Singh Rajput. Interest for the late actor spiked sharply on 14 June to reach an all time high nationally.
- Other overall trending topics include the solar eclipse (up +4,550%) and Father’s Day (up +1,050%).
- Coronavirus centric searches over the month have dropped -66% from May, but volumes remain more than double that of February.
- The top trending coronavirus searches have been: “कोरोना समाचार / coronavirus news” which spiked +3,450% and “vaccine for coronavirus latest update” which is up by +1,350%.
- The virus has been most searched in Goa over the past month, followed by Delhi and Chandigarh.
- Related searches for vaccines remained elevated at more than five times the usual monthly thresholds, after reaching a record monthly peak in May.
- “Patanjali corona medicine”, “Global vaccine summit” and “Dexamethasone” were all breakout vaccine-related searches in June.
Chart: Search interest for coronavirus, 2020 to date in India
Trending questions for coronavirus in June
- Which mask is best for coronavirus?
- How did New Zealand defeat coronavirus?
- Is corona virus weakening?
- When vaccine for coronavirus in India?
- How many days symptoms of coronavirus?
- What treatment for coronavirus in India?
- How many days coronavirus stay in your body?
- What is the body temperature in coronavirus disease patients?
- How many deaths from coronavirus in all world?
- Will the coronavirus ever end?
Map: Search interest for coronavirus, June in India
Top 10 states ranked by search interest for coronavirus in June
- Jammu and Kashmir
Google Search Monopoly Under radar
Google is holding monopoly in search across India. Other search engines are not working properly.
Recently, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) in the United Kingdom, responsible for strengthening business competition and preventing and reducing anti-competitive activities, came up with an argument that Google’s position as the default search engine across most mobile devices limited the ability of rival providers to access consumers.
The regulator said Google’s position as the default search engine across most mobile devices limited the ability of rivals to access consumers, adding that it may also disincentivise the tech giant from improving its own services
The CMA report highlighted that Apple received “the substantial majority” of the £1.2 billion spent by Google to secure its position as the default search engine among mobile phone manufacturers.
The recent press release calls for new laws to help break the monopoly power of the tech giants, saying the existing rules were “not suitable to effective regulation” and a new “pro-competition regulatory regime” was needed to govern the platforms.